Philanthropy & Development
Philanthropy & Development
Tales of the Cocktail Foundation® is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that integrates philanthropy and development into every facet of its programming. The Foundation, with guidance from the Philanthropy & Development Committee, aspires to put forward a philanthropic portfolio that:
- Addresses critical challenges impacting the Spirits community with creative programs and resources
- Nurtures nascent and emerging projects and organizations that are reflective of and responsive to community needs
- Promotes the Foundation’s mission to Educate, Advance, and Support the hospitality industry
TOTCF has granted more than $350,000 in awards to those who are actively improving the global hospitality landscape.
2023 Grant Process
Tales of the Cocktail Foundation’s grant-giving program aims to support emerging and existing organizations and individuals that demonstrate a vision, determination, and ability to make meaningful change in the global hospitality industry across a spectrum of diverse topics. To date, TOTCF has granted more than $350,000 in awards to those who are actively improving the global hospitality landscape.
The 2023 grant process is focused on bartender welfare & well-being. Applicants can be individuals, organizations, or 501(c)3 non-profits. The 2023 grant program is accepting proposals for projects that improve the lives of bartenders and hospitality workers in the areas of: equity, advocacy, healthcare, mental health, education, workplace inclusivity & safety, and other topics that focus on bartender well-being and welfare.
Grantees are selected by Tales of the Cocktail Foundation’s Philanthropy & Development Committee, who are key stakeholders with a passion for improving the industry. The committee will review applicants’ Letter of Intent, invite applicants to a phone interview to expand on their proposal, and invite a select group of applicants to submit a final proposal for consideration of the grant.
The 2023 proposal period is open from January 3, 2023 – February 3, 2023. Please refer to the TOTCF Grants F.A.Q for any questions regarding the grant process.
Bartender Welfare & Well-being Grant Categories:
- Diversity & Equity
- Fair access, opportunity, and advancement is essential to bartender well-being because creating a safe environment where industry workers feel protected and valued is the foundation of a good workplace.
- The hospitality industry was severely impacted by COVID-19, and though individuals were labeled essential workers, many still do not have access to important medical care. A broad range of creative health-related initiatives may be considered in this grant category.
- Mental Health
- The U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics has statistics on bartending being a stressful profession due to the physically demanding work and emotional labor that occurs on the job. Organizations and projects focusing on supporting the mental health of bartenders will be considered.
- Bartender education can be presented in a variety of formats and topics: financial education, certification programs, and free or low-cost continuing education fall into this grant category.
- Advocacy Initiatives aimed at addressing benefits, living wage, and other micro and macro policies of hospitality workers will be considered.
- Workplace Inclusivity & Safety
- Initiatives and organizations that provide training, resources, and innovative solutions to workplace safety in bars are invited to apply.
- A variety of topics, which focus on bartender well-being and welfare, and do not fall squarely into the above categories, will be considered.
2023 Philanthropy Dates & Deadlines
November 29, 2022 - Giving Tuesday
January 3, 2023 - Grant Proposal Period OPENS
February 3, 2023 - Grant Proposal Period CLOSES
March - April 2023 - Phone Interview Period
May 2023 - Invitation to submit a final proposal
July 2023 - Tales of the Cocktail Grant Finalist Showcase
October 20, 2023 - Grant Recipients Awarded
Past Grant Recipients
Tales of the Cocktail Foundation’s previous grant-giving to projects have supported new and established programs with a vision and determination to make meaningful change in the hospitality industry across a wide spectrum of diverse issues.
Giving Tuesday 2022
To support the Bartender Welfare & Well-being Fund, Tales of the Cocktail Foundation is participating in Giving Tuesday, a global generosity movement unleashing the power of people and organizations to transform their communities and the world. Giving Tuesday is an opportunity for individuals, groups, organizations, or nonprofits to participate in sustaining our 2023 grant-giving cycle through financial underwriting. This funding campaign will run through February 2023, and will be open past Giving Tuesday.
What is Tales of the Cocktail Foundation’s Bartender Welfare and Well-Being Fund?
A unique grant giving program where individuals, groups, organizations, or nonprofits can apply for funding. This grant-giving program for the hospitality industry aims to improve the lives of hospitality workers in the areas of :
- Diversity & equity
- Mental health
- Workplace Inclusivity & Safety
- Other topics, which focus on bartender well-being and welfare, and do not fall squarely into the above categories, will be considered
TOTCF is encouraging our global drinks community to participate in Giving Tuesday, individual or group contributions of any kind will always be welcome! With support, TOTCF can assist in underwriting dedicated individuals and organizations devoted to bartender welfare & well-being. Tales of the Cocktail Foundation aims to disburse $100,000 USD to those devoted to bartender welfare & well-being.
Tales of the Cocktail Foundation® is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, and your donation will be tax-deductible.
Interested in making a donation to the Tales of the Cocktail Foundation?
Philanthropy & Development Committee
Tales of the Cocktail Foundation’s Philanthropy & Development Committee is comprised of key industry stakeholders who advise the committee on promoting the welfare of the global hospitality industry. The Committee advises on the Foundation’s entire suite of giving efforts, including, but not limited to: grant-giving and direct relief, Beyond the Bar activations and Day of Service, policy and advocacy work, and non-profit partnerships.
The Philanthropy & Development Committee is made up of key industry stakeholders who advise the committee on promoting the welfare of the global hospitality industry. The Committee advises on the Foundation’s entire suite of giving efforts, including, but not limited to:
Grant-giving and Direct Relief
Tales of the Cocktail Foundation’s grant-giving and direct relief programs aim to support emerging and existing organizations and individuals that demonstrate a vision, determination, and ability to make meaningful change in the global hospitality industry across a spectrum of diverse topics. 2022 Grant-giving and direct relief programs will be announced on a rolling basis. Check out our past grant recipients and direct relief programs below.
Beyond the Bar Activations and Day of Service
Through TOTCF’s signature Beyond the Bar programming, the Foundation looks to address serious issues within the global drinks industry, including; mental and physical wellness, substance abuse, workplace inclusivity & safety, diversity, and sustainability. Wellness workshops and service projects are active throughout the year.
Policy & Advocacy Work
Tales of the Cocktail Foundation partners with a variety of policy experts to amplify & advocate for improved and equitable benefits and resources for the U.S. hospitality industry while calling the community to action. Interested in advocating for the rights of hospitality workers? Send us a message at email@example.com
Tales of the Cocktail Foundation partners with a variety of hospitality-focused nonprofit organizations aimed at improving the mental & physical health of workers in the
Interested in a partnership or applying for a grant? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org + email@example.com