TALES OF THE COCKTAIL FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES
TALES OF THE COCKTAIL® 2023 DATES, THEME, VENUE, AND GRANT-GIVING INFORMATION
The global cocktail conference, taking place July 23-28, 2023, celebrates its 21st year with the theme “Vitalize”
Tales of the Cocktail Foundation (TOTCF) is thrilled to announce the 21st annual Tales of the Cocktail® (TOTC) conference, which is taking place at the historic Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans from July 23-28, 2023. Marking a very special birthday for the global cocktail conference, this year, TOTCF has chosen the theme “Vitalize” to encapsulate the hospitality community’s vibrancy and adaptability, and its unmatched kinetic energy that brings so much life to our shared experience.
“There has never been a more pressing need to “Vitalize” our lives,” said TOTCF Board of Directors Board Member John Gakuru. “The theme for 2023 runs deeper than just a need to vitalise our work and our beloved industry; it is also a rallying cry to look beyond our work life and ensure that we look after ourselves, others, and our planet. It’s essential that everything in our busy lives is in balance. This year’s theme will help us to take account of every area of our lives to ensure that we’re navigating life with positivity and vitality. “Vitalize” is what we need to and will do, together.”
Providing a gathering place for all industry professionals — from bartenders to distillers to historians, and everyone in between — TOTC invites all drink-enthusiasts to come together to exchange ideas, products, and techniques in a city that so deeply reveres the community’s common thread, the cocktail. This year, conference-goers can look forward to another stellar lineup of signature educational programming, Beyond the Bar activations, tastings, networking opportunities, awards programs, and so much more. For those who cannot travel to New Orleans, the conference will host a variety of digital education and networking opportunities.
Information about the official TOTC agenda, including seminar and presenter information, ticketing, and much more will be released as we approach the 2023 conference.
Tales of the Cocktail® and The Ritz-Carlton New Orleans
Tales of the Cocktail® is pleased to partner with the official 2023 host venue, The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, located in the heart of the city’s beautiful French Quarter. As a gracious offering to guests who want to participate in the conference, The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans has provided a room block and special rate for TOTC attendees.
For the Tales of the Cocktail® room block, reservations can be made either online or by calling The Ritz-Carlton Central Reservations at 1.800.826.8987. The online reservation platform can be accessed via the Marriott website, here. For those interested in the official TOTC room block, the group code and rates are as follows.
The TOTC + The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans Room Block Group Code*:
- SCCSCCA: Deluxe King Accommodations – $209
- Booking link
- *Please note that these dates and rates are only available during the Tales of the Cocktail event period, July 19-29, 2023.
Guests are invited to secure their reservations early as the last day to book is Monday, June 26, 2023.
TOTCF 2023 Grant Application Period: Now Open
The 2023 TOTCF Grant Application Process is now open and continues through February 3, 2023. Focused on bartender welfare and well-being, the TOTCF Philanthropy & Development Committee will review all applications through a lens of improving the lives of bartenders and hospitality workers. Areas of focus include: equity, advocacy, healthcare, mental health, education, sexual harassment prevention, and workplace safety, as well as many other topics; more information can be found below. Applicants can be individuals, organizations, or 501(c)3 non-profits.
The initial phase of the Application Process invites interested parties to submit a Letter of Intent. Once reviewed, the Philanthropy & Development Committee will invite select applicants to advance to the phone interview phase. From there, applicants will submit a final proposal. Finalists will be invited to present their applications at the 2023 Tales of the Cocktail Conference in New Orleans, and grant recipients will be announced in fall 2023. Applications as well as additional information are available via The Foundation’s website.
Grant Categories for Bartender Welfare & Well-Being
- Diversity & Equity
- Fair access, opportunity, and advancement are essential to bartender well-being because creating a safe environment where industry workers feel protected and valued is the foundation of a good workplace.
- The hospitality industry was severely impacted by COVID-19, and though individuals were labeled essential workers, many still do not have access to important medical care. A broad range of creative, health-related initiatives may be considered in this grant category.
- Mental Health
- The Department of Labor has labeled bartending as one of the most stressful professions in the country due to the physically demanding work and emotional labor that occurs on the job. Organizations and projects focusing on supporting the mental health of bartenders will be considered.
- Bartender education can be presented in a variety of formats and topics: financial education, certification programs, and free or low-cost continuing education fall into this grant category.
- Advocacy initiatives aimed at addressing benefits, living wage, and other micro and macro policies of hospitality workers will be considered.
- Workplace Inclusivity & Safety
- Initiatives and organizations that provide training, resources, and innovative solutions to workplace safety in bars are invited to apply.
- A variety of additional topics which focus on bartender well-being and welfare and do not fall squarely into the above categories will be considered.