Tales of the Cocktail Foundation Code of Conduct
Tales of the Cocktail Foundation (TOTCF) is committed to hosting safe and harassment free conferences, events, educational opportunities, and parties for the spirits and hospitality industry. Every one of our Tales of the Cocktail Attendees, Participants, Sponsors, Cocktail Apprentices, Volunteers, Staff, Committee Members Consultants and our Board of Directors [herein referred to as “Associates”] are governed by our Code of Conduct and are required to adhere to the standards of conduct established herein.
The safety of attendees when events are either within our direct control or hosted by a partner or sponsor is among our top priorities. TOTCF will address any allegations brought to our attention with support, a thoughtful investigation and review, and appropriate sanctions in partnership with STAR (Sexual Trauma Awareness and Response) - a non-profit organization providing sexual violence prevention and response-education to the hospitality industry.
The following list illustrates behaviors which are deemed unacceptable under this Code of Conduct Policy. This list is not all-inclusive, but merely indicates the types of actions subject to disciplinary action, up to and including expulsion from the Event, or referral for prosecution. By providing these examples, Tales of the Cocktail Foundation in no way restricts its legal discretion to terminate employment, contractual relationships, or access to any Event(s).
- Bringing firearms or weapons of any kind, illegal drugs, or unapproved chemicals onto the premises;
- Being impaired by illegal drugs or intoxicants of any kind, or over-intoxicated by alcohol. Any Tales of the Cocktail Associate involved in the unlawful use, sale, manufacturing, dispensation, or possession of controlled substances, and/or illicit drugs, or who is working impaired due to use of such substances and/or alcohol, will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including dismissal, expulsion, and/or referral for prosecution.
- Fighting, assaulting, threatening, intimidating, or otherwise disrespectful conduct, online or in person, directed at any Tales of the Cocktail Foundation Associate;
- Violating food safety or health rules or practices, or engaging in conduct that creates a safety hazard which would violate Health Inspector or Occupational Safety and Health Administration standards;
- Negligence or improper conduct leading to damage or loss of property;
- Harassment, including but not limited to sexual harassment, cyber sexual harassment, coercive behavior, or retaliatory actions related to instances of any type of harassment;
- Discrimination that is based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, national origin or genetic information, or any other protected class by or against any Tales of the Cocktail Foundation Associate;
- Photography or other means to record, broadcast, or transmit a visual image without the subject’s consent, that may be reasonably construed as an invasion of privacy;
- Stating or making false claims of injury, or failure to cooperate fully or provide truthful information in a Tales of the Cocktail Foundation investigation;
- Otherwise violating any city, state, or federal laws or statutes.
We encourage anyone who feels this Code of Conduct has been violated to submit a complaint to the Tales of the Cocktail Foundation. Complaints can be submitted online, or made directly to Tales of the Cocktail Foundation Chief of Staff Daniela Jagemann, by phone at (703) 586-5734 or by email at Daniela@TalesoftheCocktail.org. Remediation takes place on a case-by-case basis, when possible and appropriate with review by TOTCF leadership and with consideration of the recommendations of STAR. Complainants who wish to remain anonymous are encouraged to utilize the online form.
Tales of the Cocktail Foundation Anti-Harassment Policy Statement Overview
Tales of the Cocktail Foundation respects, values, and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics, and perspectives that make each person who they are. Diversity and inclusion are essential to the mission of TOTCF, and these values are at the forefront of all TOTCF actions and events. We respectfully expect and require our stakeholders, partners, and participants to reflect and embrace these core values. There is a zero tolerance policy for any and all forms of harassment or discrimination.
Harassment is defined as unwelcome and/ or offensive treatment or conduct (verbal, physical, psychological, or visual) that is based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, national origin or genetic Information, or any other protected class.
Sexual harassment is a form of sexual violence, and is broadly defined as any unwelcome sexual advance, request for sexual favor, or verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature. Any form of sexual violence constitutes a violation of the TOTCF Code of Conduct Policy. Sexual violence occurs under various circumstances in which the victim or the aggressor may be of the same or different sex. The Tales of the Cocktail Foundation has entered into a partnership with Sexual Trauma Awareness and Response (STAR), a Louisiana based 501c3, in order to ensure that resources and support are in place to address sexual violence for anyone associated with Tales of the Cocktail Foundation or attending a TOTCF event.
For definitions of what constitutes sexual violence, please refer to the full Tales of the Cocktail Foundation Anti-Harassment Policy Statement. If you observe or experience sexual violence, it is important to inform TOTCF, and/or contact a victim advocate organization by calling STAR’s 24x7 hotline at 1-855-435-7827. STAR will also be available to be on site at the Royal Sonesta throughout Tales of the Cocktail New Orleans to serve as a resource.
For more detail on Tales of the Cocktail Foundation’s Anti-Harassment Policy Statement, definitions, and guidance, please see our full Anti-Harassment Policy Statement.